Northstar United
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GM Discontiuing Northstar Lineup

2 posters

Go down

GM Discontiuing Northstar Lineup Empty GM Discontiuing Northstar Lineup

Post by andy2003si Mon May 02, 2011 7:02 pm

Well as you know or don't know, there is no more RWD northstars in the lineup; the Cadillac STS only offers the 3.6 direct injection V6 now which is supposed to be rated at 318 horsepower, so I suppose having a 4.6 V8 with 2 more horsepower and 25 lbs of torque wouldn't be a huge upgrade considering the fuel consumption, and the STS-V was continued about 2 years ago as was the XLR base/XLR-V as well.

So the only Northstar V8's that are available in the GM lineup is either the Cadillac DTS, which was already officially confirmed by GM that it is discontinued and they stopped making them around 2 months ago production wise, so there will be no 2012 DTS (i'm assuming the ATS or XTS will replace it). The only other choice to obtain a new GM with a Northstar V8 is the Buick Lucerne which is still in production, as of now I believe it will still be out in 2012 but not sure.

GM was developing a new DOHC V8 called the "ultra series V8", but gm also announced they stopped production completely on making their new OHC ultra V8 due to how much funding it was taking, and that in today's society anymore nobody really wants a V8; which is so untrue Hyundai has a damn 4.6 V8 making almost 400 horsepower!

I mean I understand if you don't wanna spend tons of money developing a new DOHC V8 from the ground up, so instead why not take the Northstar V8 which has been around nearly 20 years and has all the bugs worked out, then crank some more horsepower out of it by tuning it out a bit and adding some new technology. Add the direct injection feature that you added to the 3.6 V6 that allowed you to increase the compression ratio to 11:5:1 and increase the power from 255 to over 300, bore/stroke the 4.6 to a 4.9-5.1 liters, upgrade the variable valve timing system w/ a new intake system with long electronic-variable runners that sync with the vvt , make new heads with bigger and more efficient valves, put a less restrictive exhaust manifold/exhaust system and BOOM at least 430 horsepower, probably at least 450+ and to keep gas mileage in sync add their cylinder deactivation system they use on the 5.3 and other v8's.

andy2003si
Admin & Founder
Admin & Founder

https://northstar.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

GM Discontiuing Northstar Lineup Empty Re: GM Discontiuing Northstar Lineup

Post by lkraft92 Wed May 04, 2011 7:24 pm

its a shame GM is not continuing the northstars, they are great motors. Sad
lkraft92
lkraft92
Super Moderator
Super Moderator